What follows is a brief, company-issued history of the Rock Island Lines. It was one of the introductory sections of the “Yard Clerical Manual” issued by the RI around 1970. The manual, from the collection of Alan Kline, was apparently intended to serve as an introduction to the company, as
The first school was built in 1882 in the original site of Bridgeport which is now referred to as “Old Bridgeport”. The map shown below was created from verbal accounts and some old surveys. The map shows a school located close to the cemetery and is said to be a
The Chamber of Commerce was organized in the late 1950’s. The first president was John Burt, local druggist. Something happened to the minutes and records and everything seems to be a blank, more or less, from then until Wilson Ray, banker, was president in 1964-65. Dr. D.C. Sipes, chiropractor, served
The Bridgeport Historical Society applied for and was granted Five State Historical Markers. "Toll Bridge & Old Bridgeport" "Bridgeport Coal Mines" "Bridgeport Lodge No. 587" "Col. William H. Hunt" and "Republic of Texas' Santa Fe Expedition in Wise County". The "First United Methodist Church" "First Presbyterian Church" and the "First
The first weekend in May When the Butterfield Overland Mail passed through Wise County and beyond in 1858 - 61, crossing the West Fork of the Trinity River was a necessity. Colonel W. H. Hunt obtained a charter to build a toll bridge constructed of cottonwood timbers. However, his bridge
The Historical Society appointed a committee to survey all establishments in the city and determine if any qualified to be designated as historic sites. The committee picked 14 sites to be classified as a Bridgeport Historic Sites. The sites are briefly described herein.
The origins of the City of Bridgeport can be traced back to a stagecoach route that passed through the city. In the late 1850’s, John Butterfield was awarded a contract by the government to provide mail services between St. Louis, Missouri and San Francisco, California. Mr. Butterfield’s service, which was