The first school was built in 1882 in the original site of Bridgeport which is now referred to as “Old Bridgeport”. The map shown below was created from verbal accounts and some old surveys. The map shows a school located close to the cemetery and is said to be a two-story building. Some old material describes the school as a crude two-room building without a floor and log seats with no backs. There were one hundred and forty pupils attending school. The teachers were Mr. Algood and Mr. Woody. The school operated until it was destroyed in 1892.
In 1893 the town of Bridgeport was moved to its present location to be close to the Rock Island Railroad. In 1895 a new school was built on the northwest corner of Cates Street and 11th Street. The school building had two class rooms but was enlarged to three rooms in 1896 to accommodate an increasing number of students. The student enrollment was approaching two hundred. The first teachers were Miss Lola Martin and Mr. Nevin. Several attempts were made to secure funding for a new school but were unsuccessful until 1902. A new two-story building with seven rooms and an assembly hall was constructed at 1407 Carpenter Street.
The school enrollment the first year was 250 pupils. Seven teachers were employed with Mr. Charley Hardcastle bring the first superintendent.
In 1910 a new three-story brick school building was constructed at 1608 Cates Street. The building had thirteen rooms and an assembly hall. The building was completed in 1911. Four hundred and fifty pupils enrolled the first year and Mr. Bird was superintendent. Some of the following superintendents were Mr. Jones, Mr. Johnston and Mr. Sampson.
In 1920 a school building was built on the west side of the Rock Island Railroad tracks to accommodate a larger school enrollment. The school was designated as the Pollard Jetter School. The building had two rooms. The first teachers were Ola Tinney and Mr. Ford. The photo shows the location of the school. The building shown is not the original school building.
In 1929 a new high school was built at 1407 Carpenter Street. This school became a junior high when a new high school building was built in 1959.
The photos below show the school buildings as of 2006. The details of the school system as it stands today may be seen on the Bridgeport BISD web site.