Early Families in Bridgeport, Texas
The Kaker Brothers

On May 1, 1899, the brothers, John A., Frank F., William J., and Lawson H., formed a partnership and purchased a small stock of hardware in a small plank building from L.H. Bomar. The building included an inventory of $1,700. John Kaker was manager. When he died in 1914 he left his equi­ty to his only son, Clarence Kaker. The original business developed to such an extent that it enabled them to erect five brick buildings. These structures were on five lots on the north side of the 900 block of Halsell Street in downtown Bridgeport . The hardware store was managed by Lawson H. Kaker after John Kaker's death. In 1931 an in­dependent grocery store was added, called Economy Cash. The hardware department continued until 1946 and was sold to Ernst W. Jones. The grocery at that time doubled its capacity and became an ultra modern and beautiful store on what was known as "Kaker Corner." The store was completely destroyed by fire in October, 1962.

Return to Early Families Home Page